Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The glass is half full

As the pastor of our congregation I have been invited a number of times to the local citizenship ceremony. I was able to accept the invitation to the one that happened today (Thursday 28th June). The Mayor of Ashfield, Ted Cassidy, asked if I wanted to make a speech - of course I did!

As I sat there working out what to say, the oath caught my eye. I says, "From this time forward, under God, I pledge my loyalty to Australia and its people... ". So I gave a short speech on how our nation will not survive if it is built on selfish individuals, but on people committed to the good of others, with all our lives dependent upon God. I acknowledged the diversity of religious beliefs and welcomed people at citizens to a nation that has had incredible religious freedoms. Then I sat down.

But only half the people swore this oath. The other half made an affirmation of allegiance which is identical to the oath but removes the phrase 'under God'. Was it disappointing that half the people took this option, first made available in 1966? I think not.

Most of the people at the ceremony came from countries which would be described as non-Christian, many of them from mainland China. It thought it was great that half of them had deliberately chosen to take the oath and see themselves as citizens of Australia 'under God'. I would say the glass if half full.

We now need to make connections with them and find opportunities to share the good news of what God has done for them in Jesus Christ.

Changes in the Australian Oath of Citizenship.

Clr Ted Cassidy, the local Mayor