Monday, September 24, 2007

Lost and found!

I was pretty excited tonight. Having lost my mobile phone earlier in the day I found it again. Nothing surprising I hear you say (particularly for me!). The difference was that I lost it while I was wiring up our church office with gigabit ethernet.

I had crawled through the roof space above the offices, stretching right out to the eaves and had navigated the maze of under floor brick walls under the rectory to get to where the router was. I now had to retrace my steps.

After getting back from Synod (more on that later) I got another set of old clothes on and armed with Beth's phone and a torch went in search of the lost phone. I started in the roof. I wasn't sure if the phone was on silent so as I rang it, looking out to see if there was the faint glow of the LCD screen. There was no sound and no dim glow.

By this time I was already dirty and had time to hit under the house. The maze of walls under the house almost needs mapping and a GPS to know where you are. About half way under I rang the phone and 'Eureka!' I could here the ringtone coming from the dirt under my study. Around the corner was my phone - it must have just slipped out of my pocket as I dragged myself along the dirt with only about a foot clearence to the floor above. Was I happy to see it!

It reminded me of Luke 15:8-10 (NLT)

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Won’t she light a lamp and sweep the entire house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she will call in her friends and neighbors and say, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin.’ In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.”

No comments: