Friday, November 30, 2007

Church Exercise - experiencing cultural diversity

I've encouraged everyone at church to visit part or parts of Sydney they don't normally go to and experience the cultural diversity of the place. I have come up with a list, but you might have some good ideas as well (post your ideas as a comment).

Don't just rush in and rush out, take a seat and try to meet someone. Just sit and observe for half an hour. Pray for the people that if they don't know Jesus they might come to know him as their Lord and Saviour.

The places I had in mind were:
  • Barakat Butchers at Belmore
  • ALDI Canterbury
  • Croydon Park McDonalds
  • Marrickville: the Metro or along Marrickville Rd
  • Ashfield Mall
  • Big W, Campsie
  • Lakemba Pizza
  • Dulwich Hill shops
Have a think about the following questions as you think about your experience:

1. What makes this experience different to what I am used to?
2. What makes this experience the same as what I am used to?
3. How deep do you think the differences go?
4. Did you feel at home here. Why or why not?

All the best! Let me know how you go since once we have 15 people complete the exercise I will give out the next one!

No comments: