Friday, May 22, 2009

Does your "stuff" define who you are?

You and STUFF...

As we go through our series on "you and..." tomorrow's sermon is all about stuff, that is- the material things that we own.

As I was preparing the sermon I thought to myself "why do we like stuff so much?"- I came up with a few reasons, one of which is that stuff provides us with our status.

An examples I heard of recently was to do with the apple iPhone. With the iPhone, you can purchase different applications to do different things- you can get games and helpful utilities, with most applications costing around $2.

But I heard of one application that someone created that doesn’t actually do anything. It’s called “I AM RICH”, and all it does is add a little crimson diamond to your phone’s screen (pictured left)... That’s all it is! A diamond logo- and it costs… $999 US

So, once you've payed your $999 US; all you get is this little “I AM RICH” diamond picture as proof to others that you are indeed rich.

Sounds pretty stupid right? Who would buy that? But- the crazy thing is that 8 people bought it before Apple removed it from the store! 8 people payed close to $1000 US, and it does nothing. And some guy just earned an easy $8,000. Talk about using stuff to define your status!

And we might not be that extreme, but I do think that we do it in other ways. The question is: is it a problem that we rely on stuff to define us? And what does God think about our stuff?

Come along to church this Sunday morning as we think about our "stuff", and see how Jesus has actually given us a better option than relying on stuff.

1 comment:

Justin said...

One of the reasons we like stuff is that stuff is 'good' -- Gen 1 etc...