Saturday, March 6, 2010

Seats in churches (cathedrals mainly)

From Blogger Pictures


When I was last in England I visited a number of cathedrals which used the Howe 40/4 chair. These included Christopher Wren's St Paul's Cathedral in London and Salisbury Cathedral (pictured above). I'm also aware that Southwark Cathedral and Ely Cathedral also use these chairs. While in Oxford I really liked the welcoming entrance placed on St Aldate's church and their flexible interior (pictured below). The design of the Howe 40/4 chair is from the early 1960s and a real classic and very beautiful chair. Check out their website here.

From Blogger Pictures

5 comments:

Sarah said...

They look great, are they comfortable?

Christopher Braga said...

I understand from reviews that they are surprisingly comfotable given they have no cushioning. I suppose it is an example of a chair being just as suitable as a pew for a church building!

Marshall Lynch said...

what a beautiful church.it's full of peace.
Edina MN Realty | Christmas Gift Baskets

Clark Herlin said...

Great post about beautiful buildings. At TheMormonEagle.blogspot.com, I have posts that offer looks inside Mormon Temples if you are interested.

CarliKeene said...

These are absolutely beautiful! I'm following here, please return the favor: peechy-keene.blogspot.com

Thank you